Saskatoon Police Services has notified us that the number of bike thefts in our city have increased recently. Here are a few reminders from the SPS website
Tips for Securing Your Bike
- Use a high quality lock – don’t rely on a cable lock.
- Lock a wheel and the frame to a secure structure. Don’t lock only the wheel as they can be easily removed from the bicycle.
- Most bicycles parked outdoors are not secured properly. Never leave your bike outside overnight.
- Never leave your bicycle unlocked in your garage, bike cage, balcony or on your vehicle. Many bikes are taken from these locations.
- Adding a secondary lock can enhance the security of your bicycle.
You can also register your bicycles with Saskatoon Police Services: http://saskatoonpolice.ca/obr/
Cable locks or thin chain link fences can easily be cut. Be sure to use a U-shaped lock and remind your child to lock his/her bike to a secure post.